Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Eventful week

The scale finally moved...after almost 2 weeks. That in and of itself seems like a major feat. Maybe it's the banana-peanut butter smoothies I've been making every morning I don't know. But after awhile, you need to mix it up otherwise those protein shakes are tough to get down.

Saturday, the hubby and I were planning on doing our putzing around...shopping, lunch, take a walk, enjoy the day kind of thing when his sister called and said my dad's watch was ready for pickup. They are in the jewelry business and dad's been wanting his watch, so we went up to the store to pick it up and went to see his folks. His dad wasn't feeling well and we ended up taking him to the E/R in the afternoon. As of today (Wednesday), he's still in there. My sister-in-law called me this morning and told me they found a tumor in his bladder...not good. They removed most of it, but 90% of the time it's malignant. He was a 50-60 year smoker and the environment he worked in probably added to his chances of getting bladder cancer - on top of the emphysema he already has. He told the hospital and his physician he doesn't want any "heroic" measures taken. I just pray he doesn't suffer more that he already does. He's such a great guy...funny, funny man. He was asked a ton of questions by the nurse in charge of admissions...like "Are you hard of hearing?"...What? "Are you hard of hearing? In typical Jack style, "Well, I've got a turd in each ear and can't hear for shit". Still has the sense of humor that guy. My hubby gets it honestly.

After returning from the hospital, we celebrated a friend's birthday with carryout and a fire on the back patio of our friends/in-laws house. More so for me since the whole mushie diet thing is throwing a crimp into any dining out plans right now. But the evening was enjoyable and I'm sure Kevin just appreciated the fact that we got together for his birthday.

My nephew and his wife had a miscarriage just after letting everyone know they were expecting their first. And my very ill Uncle Francis passed away Monday after a tough battle with cancer. I hope things start to calm down soon. All the family drama can get to be a bit much. You pray for all and be sympathetic, but try not to dwell on the negative too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment