Tuesday, May 12, 2009

First fill experience...

I've been commiserating with my sister lately about enjoying the hell out of my "honeymoon" week...the week I get of solid food before my first fill. Hubby and I went out to dinner several times and to be honest, all the food I consumed wasn't exactly dietary but hey, this may be the last time for several of the items I had so I was going for it. Besides, I wasn't able to eat the same amount I could before so the scale only went up 1 1/2 lbs since my post op.

Saturday was the first fill in my lap band. One of the women there said I had a "small" band, whatever size that means. After speaking with the nurse about any questions I had, the volume of food I could consume, what to do in terms of proteins, exercise, amount of food I should be able to eat after the correct amount of saline is in the band, she went to work.
I really didn't have much anxiety about getting the first fill...granted I don't much care for needles, but I really hate being fat even more. I had to lay down on the table and try to raise my feet without bending my knees so she could feel my port. Then she put in 2 1/2 cc's into the band and had me sit up and drink some water. It really is like a pin prick and goes so fast - less than 5 seconds. When I tried to drink water though, it felt like it was just sitting at the base of my throat and wouldn't go down. Then it would kind of gurgle a little. Odd feeling, kind of like when you drink a carbonated beverage and you have an air bubble in your throat that just sits there for a bit. Anyway, she said I was most likely a little too full and then went in and withdrew 1/2 cc. That was much better! Had to drink a Dixie cup full of water, then I was off. I'm officially restricted!
The rest of the day I drank water and ate soup for dinner, then a little cottage cheese in the evening since I needed a shot of protein. On Mother's Day, one of the booster clubs at the local high school had chicken dinners for takeout, so that was what we had at my brother's house. I was able to eat the chicken - no problem! Even though it was a little dry, I just really chewed the heck out of it. Even had a small slice of ice cream cake - Yeah! So far - I haven't had one thing that has given me a problem. Right now, I can eat about 5 1/4 ounces of food and then I'm full. Full isn't really stuffed to the gills full, it's just the feeling like if I eat another bite, I'm going to re-live it. I'm thinking I really like this band!
I have another fill scheduled for May 23rd, which probably won't be much at all if I had to guess. The nurse mentioned it can take 3-6 fills before you hit your sweet spot of losing 1 1/2 to 2 lbs per week. Heck, I lost 5 lbs from Saturday to Monday! Makes you wish you could lose at that rate every 2 days - heck I'd be in good shape by the end of the summer!
Didn't get to go to Ribfest on Saturday, we didn't get back from West Chester/Fairfield until after 9pm. It's such a nice area with alot of neat shops that even my hubby likes to go to. So we made a day of it. Too many graduation parties this weekend anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jo,

    I found your blog while doing a search on Google. I will be having my first fill in two days. I've been really nervous about it, but after reading your blog, it's helped me understand what's going to take place. Best wishes on your weight loss journey. I look forward to reading your blog.