Friday, April 16, 2010

Skype, surgery and stuff...

Okay so Tuesday I broke down and went to Staples and bought a webcam. Since my dear old sis lives so far away, it will make a much better way to communicate with the whole Skyping thing than trying to balance my cell phone on my shoulder for an hour. When she was home she set our parents up and I have to admit, I was more than interested at the time, but my mind was more on the literal pain in the butt I was having.

You see, it's been what almost 3 weeks since I've posted? Anyway, I won't bore you with the details except to say that the cyst I had near my poop shoot turned into being a fistula. I had surgery this afternoon to remove/drain/suture up the area. Thank God for good drugs! The Vicodin is working great and minimal pain. Great surgeon, great anesthesiologist and I'll say great support from the nurses. Hopefully, this is the end of the drama for me at least.

This past week has been quite an emotional ordeal for me. At my appointment with my surgeon earlier this week, I found a long time friend I haven't seen in almost a year filling out paperwork in his office. Ironically I posted a note on her Facebook page the night before about getting together. So it was quite a surprise to see her sitting at that particular surgeon's office at the very time of my appointment. Since they called me in first, I told her I would wait for her. And I'm glad I did. She found out that she has several tumors on her thyroid and needs another ultrasound before he decides the best course of action. She was pretty emotional about it so we went out for dinner and talked for quite awhile. She lost her husband 2 years ago of a massive heart attack (no warning whatsoever and an avid hockey player to boot) and both her parents are gone. But wonderful Jackie has many many friends and brothers and sisters to support her along the way.

And to top it all off, one of my bosses has a son diagnosed with a brain tumor last week almost 3 inches long at all of 12 years old. It was affecting his peripheral vision and he was having some neurological symptoms as well. They did surgery yesterday (9 hours, 20 minutes) and I found out this morning that it was a success. Docs think they got most of it, and so he may have to have radiation, but his prognosis is excellent according to the family. Full recovery. Amen!

So you know, this morning I had my annual pap smear and exam and called the head boss to find out the news about his grandson and had to put my issues into perspective. After dreading today as much as possible, knowing I was getting poked and prodded from the "innie" to the "outie", I went to the hospital a whole lot more calm and thankful for the minor inconveniences of the day.

Thank you God for a wonderful please help Jackie.

No comments:

Post a Comment