Monday, January 24, 2011

Changing your mindset


I really like this picture of hubby and I taken around Thanksgiving at our favorite pizza joint. Since we don't seem to get alot of pictures taken together, I thought I'd share.


I touched on this yesterday about not being able to think about a time when I didn't want to lose weight. I don't mean that I was always dieting. Just that I always felt that I was too heavy. I look back at pictures from high school and think "Gee, I wasn't that bad". But still felt I was 20 lbs more than I wanted to be and what "everyone" else was. It's amazing how my own perception caused me so much grief. So as I ventured off to college where the late night pizzas were an almost nightly occurrence, I packed on close to 60-70 lbs in 4 years. That my friends is alot of pizza.


I have the same story as alot of people. Gained weight, lost some, gained it back and more, lost some, and the cycle continued for 25+ years.


For the first time in my life, I'm okay with my weight. Strike that, I'm happy as a clam about my weight. But in my mind, the adjustment begins on how to de-program a lifetime of self-loathing in terms of my weight. It doesn't really help that it's January and seemingly every other commercial is about losing weight, trying this-that-and the other in getting there. There's still that tiny voice inside that still says maybe I should go for a few more.


It's a strange feeling that I know is going to take me some time to get there. For those of you in maintenance mode, any tips for me?


And while I'm reaching out to you - congrats to all of you for making it to your goal. I'm so proud of all of you.

2 comments:

  1. Great post. Its definitely hard to change a lifetime of thinking. However, you look absolutely fabulous and thin - you should be really proud of yourself. I'm glad to hear you're happy as a clam with your weight, because you look healthy and beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look wonderful! What a handsome couple!

    ReplyDelete